HISTORY

The property came to the Barros family in 1927, by the hands of Manoel Moreira de Barros, the great wine entrepreneur who founded the Barros Wine Group. Manoel Moreira de Barros transformed the quinta by planting new vineyards, renovating the house and building extensive gardens, among other projects.

Dona Matilde has always had the reputation for good wines though being hard to work. The project Quinta Dona Matilde was born in 2007 but with the same terroir and knowledge of generations.

Dona Matilde is one of the oldest and most renowned properties in the Douro region. Located beside the beautiful road between Régua and Pinhão, alongside the river, the farm is recorded in the legendary maps of Barão de Forrester.

FOUR GENERATIONS COMMITTED

The Quinta Dona Matilde was acquired by Manoel Moreira de Barros in 1927. The aquision of the farm happened in a period of a great development in the family wine business having benefits in significant property improvements: in addition to the planting of new vineyards, the house was built and also the gardens. In honour of his wife, Manoel de Barros renamed the property, Dona Matilde.
In 2006, the Barros family sold the Barros Goup, and with it Dona Matilde. A few months later, without Douro, Manuel Ângelo Barros, grandson of Manoel Moreira de Barros unhappy to see the quinta outside of family hands, managed to buy it back. Quinta Dona Matilde return to the family at the end of 2006.

The new project Dona Matilde invests in the production and marketing of top quality DOC Douro and Port wine, expression of terroir and knowledge of generations.